I just feel very enlightened everytime I attend
my Understanding China class.
The decision to pick that up as my free elective
free in terms of choices outside the faculty I'm in,
not free of charge, it's the most expensive subject of the sem.
may have came in pretty accidental.
But it's my favourite subject now.
I always thought I know China as much as I should,
but knowing the real history of it and
looking at it from a "western" point of view
really widens my perspective.
I've only been to China twice in my life.
I can only think of the rude people, severe environmental issues,
horrendous traffics, and filthy toilets.
So are most of the people who've travelled to China.
Little that we know, the way Chinese people behave
is actually shaped by historical events and
the turbulent changes in the country.
Okay, let's not get to facts.
So just today, we had a speaker from Lonely Planet.
He was actually one of the authors.
He talked a bit about how the westerners
were being ripped off in China,
and how much they're aware of it to the extent
where even if they are not being ripped off,
they'll THINK that they were at all times.
And those things were actually stated in Lonely Planet China.
Geez... but what makes them think it's only in China?
The whole Asia rips them off any way they can.
Petaling Street is a perfect example.
I wonder if that was mentioned in Lonely Planet Malaysia.
How honest is that book?
Anything about SPGs in it?
Since we're talking about angmohs being in Malaysia.
I wonder...
Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Some lonely thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment