Wednesday, June 08, 2005

From da west

So it's been three days,
No, FOUR DAYS in Perth.
Gee... I lost track of the dates.
Met justin yesterday for breakfast.
Yes, breakfast.
I'm in Perth, P-E-R-T-H, Perth!
The whole city closes at 8pm,
and people wake up at 7am.
He gotta leave the city at 2pm,
and was too shy to have dinner with my family the night before
I don't know since when the no-shy turned so-shy
so breakfast is all we can do to catch up.
Raja, a lecturer, err... a friend now... once told me
"Perth is for the newly weds and the nearly deads"
*laughs*
I must agree.
Me, someone who has BLACK black hair,
and the only time I'll color my hair is to make it Blacker
than the BLACK black I have.
*?!?!?* Okay, I got distracted there...
I was trying to say black hair stands out in Perth.
Everyone here has WHITE or GREY hair!
They are THAT old, and I'm not joking.
And there are less asians here compared to melbourne.

So what have I been doing for the past few days.
Went to shop for fresh fruits and vege.
Went to shop at a real Italian butcher.
Went to church.
Went to do some grocery shopping, and MORE grocery shopping.
But I'm not complaining.
It can be quite fun if you're doing it with people
you just don't mind spending time with.
Like Maggie and my favourite Aunt Amy.

******

One stormy night,
I'm serious, it was really stormy that night
I was sleeping soundly to the rhythm of the rain
outside the window.
Then, my phone rang.
I stumbled across the room,
into the closet room where my phone is,
It was in my bag since... always
I brought the phone, got out of the room..
looked at the tiny display screen that reads
YUENLING

I whisper, " Hello?"
"Hello, ahsook!"
"Hello?"
"Ey, we're all stoned and drunk now, hold on a sec...
Then, I realised it was actually phil on the other end.
"1,2,3... *group yells* WE MISS YOU!!!"
I was too stoned to react myself.
"Aren't you touched? We all miss you... faster come back!"
"
You guys call me in the middle of the night for this?"
"Ngor hou kwa chu lei ah..." translates I' miss you' in broken cantonese
"Got a song for you... you hold on..."
After a moment of silence, I hear guitar strumming...
I can't remember how the song sounds like now,
but I remember it puts a smile on my face at 1 am..
.
"So how was it?"
"It's okay..."
I was actually smiling
"You ungrateful bitch!"
"WTF?"


The conversation was A LOT longer than that,
I'm not gonna elaborate on how I was harassed through
the phone by Han's horny voice...
Getting a call at indecent hours and waking half the house up
is not funny at all,
and they know NO ONE messes with karis's sleep.
But it was pretty sweet of them.
Thanks guys!
I miss y'all too!

Damn, I'm just here for two weeks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty good your memory considering its YOU that was halfway sleeping. ahahahaha.
its the only song phil knows how to play, 3libras. and we pwomise not to call you so late anymore. PWOMISE!


lingam.

Raksha said...

OMG! Woman! Which part of Perth are you in? Get into the city! Go Northbridge! You wanna see Asians? ALAMAK! When I was there it was Asians everywhere wei!!! Go Church lar...that one is like THE club for ah bengs and ah lians...but I still went there almost every weekend lar cause pergi dengan kawan. Em em..I really wonder lar which obscure part of Perth you stuck in now...

Raksha said...

P/s. Go Taka for cheap but nice Jap food in the city. Go Oriels at Subiaco at night for damn chun fries and hot choc. Oh, go Makan-Makan at Vic Park for mamak food. All the asians you can see there..

Crumb said...

lingam: how asleep also can be awake la. my sister sleeping in the same room. wanna die ah?
raksha: im in Jandakot, not that near to the city. My cousin (who's sitting beside me now) told me he knows ALL that places, just didn't bother bringing me there. But seriously, here all you can do is eat, eat and EAT! No wonder they're the FATTEST nation!

Raksha said...

Karis...smack your cousin!! Now wonder you're bored silly there! Okay..never been to Jandakot, cause I stayed in Bentley..pretty near to city in my opinion. Oh yeah..food is good there. Hehehe...Ciao Italia has got the BEST pasta I swear. And there's this pretty good indian buffet for all you can eat restaurant near the bell tower...pay however much you want too...

Crumb said...

Oh, heard about Ciao, but my cousins brought me to Gucce instead, goodshiet Italian.
Serious woman, Perth is all about food only? And yeah... went pass Curtin.